Country of origin: United States (change)
My language:


What immigration regulations apply for Cuba?

To enter Cuba, tourists from the United States of America and other member countries of the European Union, you will need a passport that will be valid for at least another six months, as well as a tourist card valid for a stay of up to 30 days. If you are traveling to Cuba from any other country, please make sure to inquire with the competent diplomatic authorities in your country before your trip. Those persons entering Cuba for non-touristic purposes, such as journalists, business travelers or students planning to attend the university in Cuba need a special visum. For any information and permits related to these matters, the Cuban embassy is the best choice.



Visa riquirements for United States citizens


As a US citizen you have two options for travelling to Cuba:


1. Contact the Cuban Embassy in Washington, D.C.


Travel to Cuba for tourist activities remains prohibited by statute. However, there are 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba as for example: education. To apply for a Cuban visa or for any questions regarding Cuban consular services, please contact the Cuban Embassy in Washington, D.C.:


Embassy of the Republic of Cuba 2630 16th Street,

NW Washington, D.C. 20009



Phone: (202) 797 8518


2. Separate flights with stop over in a foreign county


At the stopover airport e.g. Mexico you can buy a tourist card (=visa) before entering Cuba. Flights must be bought separately. To avoid problems we recommend the first option for travelling to Cuba.


Further important information

  1. With very few exceptions, U.S. credit and debit cards do not currently work in Cuba. Please bring enough cash to last your entire trip. U.S. Dollars can be exchanged into Cuban convertible currency (CUC) at most airports, hotels, and exchange houses.
  2. Cuba requires visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, and sells a temporary policy to those who do not have it. Questions about this insurance requirement should be directed to the Cuban Embassy in Washington.


We assume no responsibility for integrity of information. Don’t hesitate to contact us for further questions.

More questions and Answers


general questions

Worth knowing before your trip



questions on car hire

Information about car driving in Cuba





questions to drink travel

In the small group by Cuba 


Wow, there are so many interesting tours on the Cubatrotter Website
Yes, and our specialist can advise you by telephone or by live chat
man_happy woman_happy

Contact us

Are you skeptical? We offer you paying your Cuba Trip after travelling! » more infos